Zack Snyder’s ‘Justice League’ was ‘impossible to watch’ and ‘joyless’: report
- Zack Snyder’s first cut of “Justice League” has been deemed “unwatchable”, according to Rolling Stone.
- The publication reported that “Avengers” director Joss Whedon was brought in to help with the film.
- Whedon ended up directing the final cut, which was panned by critics.
Zack Snyder’s first cut of ‘Justice League’ has been deemed “unwatchable”, according to a new report from Rolling Stone.
Snyder was the original director of the 2017 superhero film but left the project after the death of his daughter. “The Avengers” director Joss Whedon stepped in to oversee the reshoots and recut the film for its November 2017 release, however, the final product was met with criticism from critics and fans.
Shortly after the film failed, fans launched an online campaign to release the Snyder version of the film, until Warner Bros. back in 2020. “Zack Snyder’s Justice League,” released last year, was about four hours long and featured new footage that was shot to match Snyder’s vision.
However, according to Rolling Stone, executives were unimpressed with Snyder’s original cut of the film.
The publication said Snyder’s first cut, shown to Warner Bros. executives. on February 27, 2017, was described as too long and too convoluted.
With a runtime of over two and a half hours, those in the room called the film a “disaster” and “a complete failure”, according to Rolling Stone.
A source also told the publication that was when Whedon was brought in as a writer and consultant.
Nine days later, Snyder presented a second cut, which was still over two hours long, and which Whedon took notes on, according to the report.
After Snyder’s daughter died in mid-March, he reportedly continued working to cut the film in time. At the same time, the studio asked Whedon to make the film’s tone less dark and serious.
Per Rolling Stone, Snyder showed his final version, which was two hours and 18 minutes long, to studio heads on May 5, but a source described it as “unwatchable” and “joyless.”
Whedon was signed on to direct the reshoots over the summer to meet the November release date, and Snyder announced his exit two weeks later, according to the report.
Rolling Stone also reported that at least 13% of social media accounts that pushed for the release of the “Snyder Cut” were fake.
The publication contacted two social media tracking companies, Q5id and Graphika, and obtained two reports that the studio’s parent company, WarnerMedia, had commissioned as part of an investigation into fan-trolling related to the film.
According to a report commissioned by WarnerMedia, the third-party investigation revealed numerous “negative activities created by real and fake perpetrators” involving the hashtags #ReleaseTheSnyderCut and #RestoreTheSnyderVerse. Q5id and Graphika also found inauthentic activity from SnyderVerse fans.
Snyder denied manipulating the social media movement.
He told Rolling Stone: “As an artist, it was gratifying to finally be able to see my vision come to fruition after such a difficult time in my life and to have it so well received. I am grateful to both the fan community and to Warner Bros. for allowing this to happen Dwelling on negativity and rumors serves no one.
Insider has reached out to representatives for Snyder and Warner Bros for additional comment.