Ricky Martin’s nephew drops sex allegations, judge ends temporary restraining order
Singer Ricky Martin during the amfAR Cannes Gala 2022 at Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc on May 26, 2022 in Cap d’Antibes, France.
Gisele Schober | German selection | Getty Images
A judge ruled on Thursday not to extend a temporary restraining order issued against Ricky Martin this month by his nephew after the parent dropped the case.
In a virtual hearing, the nephew “voluntarily waived” to move forward and said he no longer needed the protective order, a court spokesperson told NBC News.
The order, which was due to expire on Thursday, was granted on July 1 under Puerto Rico’s Domestic Violence Prevention and Response Act, also known as Law 54, after the nephew alleged that he had been romantically involved with Martin for seven months and now “fears for his safety”, according to documents obtained by Telemundo and shared with NBC News.
The judge made the decision after a hearing that was not open to the public or the press since cases presented under Law 54 are considered civil and confidential in order to protect the identity of the person presenting the allegations. .
Martin and his nephew attended the hearing virtually, according to the court spokesperson.
A lawyer for Martin told NBC News on Wednesday that the singer was prepared to “speak directly to the judge at the hearing” and deny having had a romantic or sexual relationship with his nephew.
Martin would also be contesting charges that he harassed and harassed his nephew, the attorney said.
In the protective order filed this month, the nephew also accused Martin of calling him frequently and “hanging around his residence on at least 3 occasions” following their “separation 2 months ago.”
Marty Singer, one of Martin’s lawyers, has previously said that “the person who made this claim is struggling with serious mental health issues. Ricky Martin has, of course, never been – and never would be. – involved in any sort of sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew.”
In a Facebook livestream this month, Eric Martin, one of the singer’s half-brothers, also said the allegations were made by a nephew who suffers from “mental health issues”.
On Wednesday afternoon, Puerto Rico police said in a statement that a man filed a complaint saying he received two intimidating phone calls Tuesday night.
While police have named the person who filed the complaint, Martin’s nephew, NBC News does not generally identify victims of alleged domestic violence.
The man told police he answered a phone call from a Canadian area code at 9:05 p.m. and heard a man’s voice ‘threatening him with death if he spoke at the hearing’, according to the police statement. A minute later, he received another phone call from a New York number in which a man named the street where he lives.
The two numbers seem to have been disconnected since Wednesday evening.
Martin’s lawyers said in a statement after the hearing on Thursday: “As we anticipated, the temporary protective order was not extended by the court. The accuser confirmed in court that his decision to dismiss the case was his own, without any outside influence or pressure, and the accuser confirmed that he was satisfied with his legal representation in the case.”
“It was never anything more than a troubled individual making false allegations with absolutely nothing to back them up,” they added. “We are happy that our client has seen justice and can now move forward with his life and career.”
Nicole Acevedo reported from New York and Diana Dasrath from Los Angeles.
Follow Latin NBC on Facebook, Twitter and instagram.