Unwind before bed with fun art activities
Have you ever felt like it’s impossible to fall asleep at night? It happens to all of us at some point. But instead of tossing and turning and waking up slowly, try adjusting your nighttime routine to include relaxing rituals that make it easier to fall asleep. Research offers a creative solution if you’re looking to unwind, especially before bed: artistic pursuits.
The hassle of trying to fall asleep
If catching Zzz is sometimes difficult, you are not alone. According to the Office on Women’s Health (OWH), insomnia is a common sleep disorder, affecting one in four women in the United States.
Primary insomnia can occur on its own, while secondary insomnia can be related to another health problem. The OWH adds that insomnia is either acute (short-term) or chronic (continuous) – and many people who suffer from chronic insomnia suffer from secondary insomnia.
MedlinePlus experts note that your risk of insomnia may increase with the following:
- Hormonal changes in menopause
- Age-related changes in sleep patterns and health
- Problems that affect your mental or physical health
- Stressful times and events
- An unbalanced schedule
A valid solution for better rest
Stress is a major contributor to loss of quality sleep, which is why relaxation needs be a priority before bedtime. It means unplugging from all devices and engaging in creative pursuits instead.
A 2018 review of studies published in Behavioral sciences showed near consensus among research reports focused on sleep and anxiety. In short, artistic activities like drawing, painting, and working with clay have been shown to be effective in reducing stress and anxiety levels. The authors believe that these activities had a therapeutic effect on the participants and ultimately improved their mood.
psychology today also highlights how art therapy (which uses creative techniques) is often used to help adults explore their emotions, reduce depression, and boost self-esteem. So creating art can be healing in many ways.
Have you ever thought about doing a quick art activity before bed? It is definitely worth it. Leave the stresses of the day behind you and exercise your artistic muscles for a while.
3 relaxing art activities to do before bed
These three calming art activities are easy to do in your bedroom and are perfect for beginners. Plus, they’re all under $20, so you don’t have to break the bank.
- Buddha board (Buy at BuddhaBoard.com, from $17.95): Using a Buddha Board is soothing because you can create a painting without using ink, paint or chemicals – just water. When the water slowly evaporates, your art will disappear and then leave you with a clean slate and a clear mind. (Plus, no mess!)
- Anxiety Relief Adult Coloring Book (Buy on Amazon, $5.99): Another fun way to stimulate relaxation is to color. This anti-stress coloring book is ideal for focusing on filling image-filled pages with bright colors.
- One-year art review (Buy on Amazon, $14.99): This journal is filled with 365 days of artistic prompts to hone your creativity by doodling, writing, coloring and more. Plus, it doesn’t require any expensive art tools – pencils, pens, or colored pencils work great.
Art can be the perfect activity to help you unwind after a long day and get a good night’s sleep. It’s also best to talk with your doctor when looking for other ways to treat insomnia.