The Tomato Tatin is a beautiful, colorful, juicy and above all tasty tart! The caramelized side of the tomatoes brings a real additional taste compared to a classic tomato pie. You can also replace the puff pastry with shortcrust pastry according to your preference, although the puff pastry is still lighter.
- A puff pastry
- 8 tomatoes round
- 1 sprig of basil
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 10g butter
- Salt pepper
1. To start, make your homemade puff pastry by following this recipe or take a ready-made one from your fridge so that it unrolls more easily afterwards.
2. Rinse and dry the tomatoes then cut them in half.
3. In a frying pan, pour the sugar and the olive oil, then place the tomatoes. Pour the balsamic vinegar and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Flip them halfway through cooking.
4. Butter your mold (it must be quite deep), then drain the tomatoes before arranging them nicely in the latter. Tighten them well and let them cool slightly.
5. Unroll your dough and wrap the tomatoes. The edges of the puff pastry should encompass everything. Prick it with a fork.
6. To finish, bake your Tomato Tatin for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 200°C. When you take it out, carefully turn it over on a plate (be careful not to burn yourself!).
Serve it warm or cold according to your preferences and accompany it with a nice green salad !